|Topic:||Financial and Operations, University Grounds and Physical Facilities|
|Approval Authority:||Board of Governors|
This policy is intended to protect and uphold the image and reputation of the university by regulating the use of brand properties. Protecting the university from inappropriate associations or use is desirable for the establishment and promotion of a professional and distinctive image for the university. This policy is designed to limit the proliferation of brand properties that detract from the university’s core positioning by diluting the University's distinctive image and legal right in its names and marks.
The term "brand property" means print or digital usage of a term, name, mark, insignia, logo, seal, crest, design or symbol that has been adopted and used by the university, in physical installations, in University nomenclature (department, office, job titles), and in web and social media properties (handles, accounts, hashtags).
Examples include York University's name, mark and design; the logo for each of the University’s professional schools and campuses; and visual design treatment for all administrative units.
- This policy applies to:
- every York University brand property encompassed by the “Definition”;
- graphic and language standards; and
- the development of any new brand property.
- This policy is not intended to limit any academic affiliation or research initiative or undertaking but extends in so far as it is relevant and applicable to ensure that York University is properly represented within that relationship, in particular, when a brand property is used for promotion or identification.
- York University shall use, develop, and manage brand properties in such a manner as to uphold and promote a professional, consistent, coherent and distinctive image for the university in all its communications and activities.
- York University may develop new brand properties, or identities or affiliations incorporating existing brand properties, subject to the prior consent and approval of the President or the President's designate.
5. Related Policies/Procedures
Brand Stewardship Guidelines (to be developed)
|Legislative History:||Revised and approved, Board of Governors 2020/10/06|
|Date of Next Review:||2025 (on a five year cyclical review)|
|Related Policies, Procedures and Guidelines:||Brand Stewardship guidelines and procedures|