Approved by the Board of Governors: 1995/05/15; Date Effective: 1995/05/15; Revised and Approved by the Board of Governors: 2008/12/02; 2013/12/09.
Approval Authority: Board of Governors
Signature: Marshall Cohen
Section 8 of the York University Act reads as follows:
"The Board shall elect from its membership a chairman who shall hold office for a term of seven years and who shall be eligible for re-election for one further term."
Notwithstanding, the practice of the Board will be that a nominee for the Chair will be offered a three-year term, which will not be extended except in extraordinary circumstances. (Guideline on the Term of the Chair of the Board of Governors).
Article VII, section 6 of the General By-Laws of the Board indicates:
"The Board shall elect the Chair and Vice-Chair from among its external members."
A. Procedures for the Appointment of a Chair and/or Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect
- Not later than 14 months before the conclusion of the Board Chair’s term, or when otherwise necessary, the Secretary of the Board shall invoke the procedures governing the appointment of a Chair and shall invite members to suggest the name(s) of those external members of the Board who should be considered for the position of Vice- Chair/Chair-Elect. This invitation will also request members to identify the qualities and attributes which the next Chair should possess given the anticipated requirements of the position in the years ahead.
- The Chair of the Board together with the President and the Chair of the Governance and Human Resources Committee shall nominate for Board approval members of the Board to form a Selection Advisory Committee to propose the name of the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect.
- Members asked to serve on the Selection Advisory Committee shall not normally be eligible for consideration for the position of Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of the Board.
- The comments and suggestions of Board members shall be reviewed by the Selection Advisory Committee and all such comments and suggestions shall be held in confidence. The Committee will meet individually with the retiring Chair and the President to obtain their views.
- The Selection Advisory Committee shall propose to an in camera session, normally by the June meeting of the Board in the second year of the Chair's term, the name of an external member of the Board to be the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, effective 1 July that year. The member so proposed will be invited to be absent from the session. The Board will either confirm the individual proposed, or invite the Committee to reconsider the matter and to propose another name. The successful nominee will assume the role of Vice-Chair / Chair-Elect on 1 July of that year, and will normally succeed the Chair of the Board on 1 July of the following year.
- If the position of Chair or Vice-Chair / Chair-Elect falls vacant for any reason, the Secretary of the Board shall inform members of the Board of the vacancy and invoke the above procedures as soon as possible, with the appointment of the succeeding Chair to take effect immediately.
Associated Guideline 1: Guideline on the Term of the Chair of the Board of Governors
In accordance with the York Act, the Board “shall elect from its membership a chairman who shall hold office for a term of seven years and who shall be eligible for re-election for one further term.”
Two successive Advisory Selection Committees expressed strong views that the seven year term prescribed by the York Act is neither ideal for succession planning nor for attracting potential nominees to the position.
The practice of the Board will be that a nominee for the Chair will be offered a three-year term, which will not be extended except in extraordinary circumstances.
Associated Guideline 2: Guideline on the Role and Appointment of the Vice-Chair(s) of the Board of Governors
In accordance with the York Act, the Board “shall elect the … Vice-Chair from among its external members [and] shall perform all duties of the Chair when the latter is unable by reason of absence or other cause to perform such duties and shall also have such other powers and duties, if any, as may be assigned from time to time to him/her by the Board.”
There will be two Vice-Chair positions of the Board:
- An ex-officio Vice-Chair who will be the Chair of the Governance and Human Resources Committee or other such committee as determined from time to time by the Executive Committee; and
- A Vice-Chair / Chair-Elect appointed by the Board on the recommendation of the Selection Advisory Committee, pursuant to approved procedures.